Thursday 26 January 2012

Critical Debates in Design

*Choosing two fonts
*One I like - Helvetica
*One I dislike - Times New Roman


The Designers for this well-known typeface, Helvetica, Have played a very influential part in the design industry. Max Miedinger and Eduard Hoffmann created this font in 1957. This font took the world by storm and was titled overused and easy.
To me, this font works well in any circumstance, whether you trying to loud, quiet, small or big, Helvetica to over the serif fonts and stood alone as new class of modernism. Modernism being the key influence to creating this Swiss typeface. People see Helvetica as being dead and overused, but to me it is very much alive, and is still going strong, used on a range of different mediums, everything from shop, website, logo’s and posters. The front is clean cut which makes very legible compared to other fonts i.e. Serifs !!!


Here is an example of Helvetica working well as a logo (The North Face).



The font I dislike the most, Time New Roman create by Victor Lardent who was commissioned by The Times in 1931. I dislike this font due to the fact of Helvetica attracting my eye first. Not being designer friendly and not having the same impact that helvetica has (borring). For me, this font would deffenantly fall in the overused category. To many, it has just become a font which is ordinary and has no impact.

Below is an example of Time New Roman not working well. Article on (South Africa)


Image below shows the two typefaces - Helvetica and Times New Roman



No comments:

Post a Comment